Monday, January 3, 2011

Top Ten Albums of 2010

Thanks to dropbox, I didn't lack for albums to listen to this year.  However, short of a few albums I heard on vinyl and/or a proper stereo before landing in Costa Rica, the music of 2010 has been heard via earbuds and/or laptop speakers, and that is no way to really listen to music.  Right after family and friends, I'm most looking forward to reconnecting with my vinyl collection and stereo.  I miss the smell of a brand new lp and familiar pop of the needle dropping.  I miss other things of course, but mostly I miss those other things while listening to music.  It will be nice to cook my own recipes, in our own kitchen, but it will be great to cook in a home filled with the sweet sounds of jazz/indie rock/folk/hip-hop...

Without further ado, the list:



10. Broken Bells -Broken Bells
This album is so predictably good, it almost feels like a guilty pleasure.

9. Janelle Monáe - The ArchAndroid
Step aside Maya.

8. Sleigh Bells - Treats
I can't decide whether this is the most abrasive pop album ever, or the poppiest noize record ever.

7. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
It's no Funeral... the same way that In Utero is no Nevermind.

6. Yeasayer - Odd Blood
Replace the opener with the cut from Dark Was the Night and this album jumps 5 spots.

5. Fang Island - Fang Island
Math can be fun! (SUPER FUN!!!)

4. No Age - Everything In Between
This year's grower (give it another listen Jeremy)

3. Surfer Blood - Astro Coast
The perfect mash up of Weezer (The Blue Album) and Pinkerton

2. Damien Jurardo - Saint Bartlett
2010's Bill Callahan

1. Broken Social Scene - Forgiveness Rock Record
If I could only listen to one album from 2010, this would be it.  This collective is greater because of its parts.

1 comment:

aaron wk said...

alright!! a list to read!!! i will be much less economical with my album comments. :) btw, at this stage in the trip planning (still waiting to hear back from host university), we are looking at an arrival date of may 20th and a departure date of june 27th. that means that, if we did a week of service with ya'll, it would be the week of june 19th-25th. EF WHY EYE!!